Weekly Newsletter August 19th 2013
This is a copy of the weekly newsletter from the Australian Running Calendar sent by email on August 19th 2013 covering interesting articles, recently updated event pages, and events coming up over the next two weeks.
I mentioned in last week's newsletter that I've been working (very slowly) on a fairly major update to the way event listings are laid out on the website, which I think is a vast improvement.
I have another project I'll be finishing off this week and should then finally be able to finish this off during regular work hours, instead of the on-again, off-again project it's been since May, working on it during my son Jamie's swimming lessons!
Three food articles
I already mentioned this first one in last week's newsletter, but given the second article linked to below, it seems a good idea to mention again Ultra168's article "Calories in vs calories out - is it really that simple?", which challenges some our basic assumptions about food intake versus energy expenditure. Read more.
Along the same lines, a Princeton University study found that high-fructose corn syrup prompts considerably more weight gain than regular sugar or sucrose. Read more.
And Runners World talks about why they think eggs are good for runners, including some quick recipes at the end of the article. Read more.
5 reasons for runners to love aqua jogging
Last week I posted a link to The Guardian's Running Blog, which looked at cross-training options to help when coping with a running injury, which included aqua jogging. I then found Dawn Tuffery's excellent blog post titled "5 reasons for runners to love aqua jogging" as she attempts to find some reason for enjoying it... Read the blog post here.
What is an ultra?
The runningandstuff blog points out that asking "what is an ultra?" can be like asking "how long is a piece of string?" It's an interesting post about what is essentially arbitrary distances, and comes up with some definitions about what the writer thinks is what. Read it here.
The Greatest Athlete postponed
A couple of important ones first up, the Greatest Athlete events (which were supposed to kick off the weekend that's just been) have all been postponed until next year.
Rainbow Run dates, locations, online entry
I never did get a response from my email to the Rainbow Run organisers to confirm dates etc, but they've now updated all their event listings to confirm dates and locations for several of them including online registration. I've updated all my Rainbow Run listings and removed dates from listings where there are no longer confirmed dates.
New listings and dates
Apart from the above, new listings and dates have been added for: Run for Your Heart; Big Beach Challenge; Neon Run Melbourne; Run for Gold; Sarah Hilt Foundation Fun Run and Walk; The Bridge Marathon; Great Strides Walkathon; Sports Super Centre Series; Rollercoaster Run; Carina Canter; Griffo's Challenge; Swanbourne Run for Run; Surf to Surf Fun Run; The Stampede Adelaide; River Run 100; Orienteering WA State Middle Distance Championship; Field of Wishes Family Fun Run and Walk.
Online entry and PDF entry forms
And online entry / PDF entry forms have been added for: Rottnest Marathon and Fun Run; Mark Webber Tasmania Challenge Adventure Run; Black Hill Challenge.
Date corrections / updates
The date for Dirt Fest Victoria has been corrected to 18 Jan 2014 (had listed it as 05 Apr).
Check the website homepage regularly for updates
Check out the website homepage for the most recently updated listings, and be sure to check back regularly as there are frequent updates and I check event websites all the time for updates, changes, new dates, etc.
Events this week
Tuesday August 20th 2013
- Black Mountain Run Up in Canberra, ACT - 2.6K
Wednesday August 21st 2013
- Sydney Corporate Cup in Sydney, NSW - 6K Team Event
Friday August 23rd 2013
- Oxfam Trailwalker Sydney - 100K 4 Person Team Event
Saturday August 24th 2013
- Glow Run in Brisbane, QLD - 5K
- Mudgee Running Festival in Mudgee, NSW - 10K, 5K
- parkrun throughout Australia - 5K
- SDAC Winter Series at Prince Edward Park, NSW - 9.6K, 5K, 3K, 2K, 1K
- Z:24 Challenge in Melbourne, VIC - 24 hour team relay
Sunday August 25th 2013
- Adelaide Marathon Running Festival in Adelaide, SA - Marathon, Half Marathon, 10K
- City to Surf in Perth, WA - Marathon, Half Marathon, 12K, 4K, 4K Wheelchair
- Coburg Harriers Half Marathon in Melbourne, VIC - 21.1K, 10.55K
- Kuranda to Port Douglas Ultra Trail Marathon in QLD - 64K, 16K, Teams Event
- Lake Macquarie Running Festival in Warners Bay, NSW - Half Marathon, 10.5K, Kids 4K
- Mt Portal in Sydney, NSW - 16.5K, 10K
- Mudgee Running Festival in Mudgee, NSW - 42.2K, 21.1K
- Paluma Dam Trail Run near Townsville - Approx 25K, 12K
- Parkinson's Unity Walk in Canberra, ACT - 3.5K Walk, 2K Walk
- Parkinson's Unity Walk in Sydney, NSW - 8K Run, 4K Walk
- Parkinson's Victoria Walk in the Park in Melbourne, VIC - 4K
- Pub 2 Pub in Sydney, NSW - 13K
- Salomon Trail Running Series at Dandenong Ranges, VIC - Approx 21K, 15K, 7K
- Shepparton Running Festival in Shepparton, VIC - 42.2K, 21.1K, 10K, 5K, 2K
- Step into Life de Castella Run in Melbourne, VIC - 15K, 10K, 5K
- Sunshine Coast Marathon in Mooloolaba, QLD - 42.2K, 21.1K, 10K, 5K, Kids 2K, Wheelchair 2K
- The Color Run in Sydney, NSW - 5K
- Walk for Kids Challenge in Redcliffe and Shornecliffe, QLD - 10K
Events next week
Thursday August 29th 2013
- Adventure Sport NQ Metrogaine Series in Cairns, QLD - 1 hour
Friday August 30th 2013
- Flinders Island Running Festival on Flinders Island, TAS - 5K
Saturday August 31st 2013
- Flinders Island Running Festival on Flinders Island, TAS - 50K, 26K
- Glow Run in Sydney, NSW - 5K
- Hobsons Bay Running Club 5K Handicap in Melbourne, VIC
- Misty Mountain Trail Run at Mt Warning / Wollumbin, NSW - 40K, 20K, 10K, 5K
- Nerang Short Course in Nerang, QLD - 20K, 6K
- Night Trail Run at Garigal National Park, Sydney, NSW - 22K, 15K, 7.5K
- parkrun throughout Australia - 5K
- Wivenhoe Dam Triathlon Fun Run at Wivenhoe, QLD - 6K, 3K
Sunday September 1st 2013
- Bravehearts Fun Run and Walk at East Point Reserve, Darwin, NT - 10K, 5K, 2.5K
- Bridge to Brisbane in Brisbane, QLD - 10K, 5K
- Dubbo Stampede Running Festival in Dubbo, NSW - 21.1K, 10K, 5.5K
- Father's Day Fun Run in Cairns, QLD - 10K, 6K, 2K
- Fathers Day Fun Run in Townsville, QLD - 6.8K, 3K
- Flinders Island Running Festival on Flinders Island, TAS - 5K, 2K
- Para River Classic in Salisbury, SA - 10K, 5K, 2K
- Ross Marathons in Ross, TAS - Marathon, Team Marathon, Half Marathon, 10K, Kids 1.5K
- SIDS Stampede in Windsor, NSW - 10K, 5K
- Speewah Legend Foot Race in Speewah, QLD - 17K, 8K, 4K
- Women's and Girls' Jogalong in Canberra, ACT - 6K, 3K, 1.6K
- Yurrebilla Training Run No 3 in Adelaide, SA - 44K, 22K
Have a great running week!
Best Running Regards,