Weekly Newsletter August 26th 2013
This is a copy of the weekly newsletter from the Australian Running Calendar sent by email on August 26th 2013 covering interesting articles, recently updated event pages, and events coming up over the next two weeks.
Just another update on the upcoming changes to the event listings: I reached a major breakthrough in the page layout on Friday and suddenly the way to make a bunch of other future enhancements, which had always been a bit troublesome, became very easy.
Those other changes will still wait until later in the year, but the current event listing changes and making the site look better on mobile devices is what I'll be working on from Wednesday this week. I'm very excited about the upcoming update and hopefully can get it online by the next newsletter.
13 reasons every runner is a jerk
You might not agree with this list, but I know I do some of these things :) I like how the article starts: "Here are thirteen reasons most runners are jerks. Don't worry, they won't be offended, they are out running and won't have time to read this article." Check it out here.
Do ultra-runners really need coaches?
In part one of a two part article, Ultra168 attempts to look at whether or not ultra runners need coaches, by first running the 6ft Track Marathon without a coach. The second article later this year will be after being coached towards the Glasshouse 100. Read the first part here.
Obstacle racing's most common injuries - and how to avoid them
Obstacle racing is becoming really big internationally and here in Australia. Mike Donoghue, the founder of Amphibious Medics, a private medical-staffing contractor for the USA's largest events, including Tough Mudder and Spartan Race, offers his insider tips here for avoiding injury.
Photo of the week
And while we're talking about obstacle racing, my pick for photo of the week is this one posted on Twitter by Tough Mudder of Noah Galloway who only has one arm and one leg. Amazing stuff!
New listings and dates
New listings and dates have been added for: Lake Gwelup Run; Tough Mudder Melbourne; EveryRun; 100 Steps Fun Run; Oxfam Trailwalker in Brisbane; Brisbane Marathon Festival; Twin Bridges Trail Half Marathon; Bribie Beach Bash; Quirindi Canter for Young Care; and the WAMC Bold Park Cross Country.
Online entry and PDF entry forms
And online entry / PDF entry forms have been added for: Beach Bash Forster and Gold Coast; Bruny Island Ultra; PwC Cool Night Classic in Perth and Brisbane; Hamilton Fun Run; Marysville Marathon Festival; Orange Running Festival; Run for your Heart; Run the Maine; Walhall Wound Up; Fathers' Day Fun Run in Townsville; Port of Portland 3 Bays Marathon; Fermantle Half Marathon; Greater Springfield Run for Life; and the Canberra Times Fun Run.
Date corrections / updates / postponements
- The Bairnsdale Running Festival, originally scheduled for 22 Sep 2013, has been postponed. A new date has not yet been announced.
- The Tough Bloke Challenge in Melbourne has changed from 22 Mar 2014 to 01 Mar 2014.
- The Memory Walk and Jog in Albury/Wodonga, originally scheduled for 06 Oct 2013, has been postponed until 2014. No date has yet been announced.
- AWMA Trail Running Series in Albury: corrected the date from 08 Sep to 15 Sep 2013
Check the website homepage regularly for updates
Check out the website homepage for the most recently updated listings, and be sure to check back regularly as there are frequent updates and I check event websites all the time for updates, changes, new dates, etc.
Events this week
Thursday August 29th 2013
- Adventure Sport NQ Metrogaine Series in Cairns, QLD - 1 hour
Friday August 30th 2013
- Flinders Island Running Festival on Flinders Island, TAS - 5K
Saturday August 31st 2013
- Flinders Island Running Festival on Flinders Island, TAS - 50K, 26K
- Glow Run in Sydney, NSW - 5K
- Hobsons Bay Running Club 5K Handicap in Melbourne, VIC
- Misty Mountain Trail Run at Mt Warning / Wollumbin, NSW - 40K, 20K, 10K, 5K
- Nerang Short Course in Nerang, QLD - 20K, 6K
- Night Trail Run at Garigal National Park, Sydney, NSW - 22K, 15K, 7.5K
- parkrun throughout Australia - 5K
- Wivenhoe Dam Triathlon Fun Run at Wivenhoe, QLD - 6K, 3K
Sunday September 1st 2013
- Bravehearts Fun Run and Walk at East Point Reserve, Darwin, NT - 10K, 5K, 2.5K
- Bridge to Brisbane in Brisbane, QLD - 10K, 5K
- Dubbo Stampede Running Festival in Dubbo, NSW - 21.1K, 10K, 5.5K
- Father's Day Fun Run in Cairns, QLD - 10K, 6K, 2K
- Fathers Day Fun Run in Townsville, QLD - 6.8K, 3K
- Flinders Island Running Festival on Flinders Island, TAS - 5K, 2K
- Lake Gwelup Run in Gwelup, Peth, WA - 10K, 5K
- Para River Classic in Salisbury, SA - 10K, 5K, 2K
- Ross Marathons in Ross, TAS - Marathon, Team Marathon, Half Marathon, 10K, Kids 1.5K
- SIDS Stampede in Windsor, NSW - 10K, 5K
- Speewah Legend Foot Race in Speewah, QLD - 17K, 8K, 4K
- Women's and Girls' Jogalong in Canberra, ACT - 6K, 3K, 1.6K
- Yurrebilla Training Run No 3 in Adelaide, SA - 44K, 22K
Events next week
Tuesday September 3rd 2013
- Mt Ainslie Run Up in Canberra, ACT - 2.2K
Saturday September 7th 2013
- Glasshouse 100 in Beerburrum, QLD - 100 mile, 100K, 50K, 30K, 10K
- Greater Springfield Run For Life in Springfield, QLD - 10K, 5K, 1K
- Inov-8 Coastal Classic from Otford to Bundeena, NSW - 29K
- parkrun throughout Australia - 5K
- Sydney Striders 10K Series in Sydney, NSW
- Victorian Road Runners Tan Handicap and Breakfast in Melbourne, VIC - 8K, 4K
- Walk for Kids Challenge in Redcliffe and Shornecliffe, QLD - 100K over 2 days
Sunday September 8th 2013
- Athletics Victoria XCR in Melbourne, VIC - Half Marathon
- Bankstown Half Marathon in Sydney, NSW - 21.1K, 3K
- Canberra Times Fun Run in Canberra, ACT - 14K, 10K, 5K
- Edgell Bathurst Jog in Bathurst, NSW - 7.5K
- Forster Running Festival in Forster, NSW - 21.1K Run/Walk, 10K Run/Walk, 5K Run/Walk, 4K Walk, Kids 4K, Kids 2K
- Husky Half Marathon, 5K, 2K in Huskisson, NSW
- Memory Walk and Jog at Speers Point, NSW - 7.5K, 2K
- Parkinson's Unity Walk in Adelaide, SA - 4.5K Walk, 2.5K Walk
- Parkinson's Unity Walk in Brisbane, QLD - 4K
- Parkinson's Unity Walk in Perth, WA - 4K, 2K
- Ridge to Ridge Half Marathon, 10K and 5K in Toowoomba, QLD
- Rotary Westbury Fun Run in Westbury, TAS - 8K, 4K
- Run for East Timor in Castlemaine, VIC - 10.2K Run, 5.1K Run/Walk, 2K Walk
- Ryde Rivers Festival in Sydney, NSW - 10K, 5K, Kids 1K
- Salt Fun Multisport Festival in Salt Village, NSW - 10K, 5K, Kids 1K
- Sri Chinmoy Sydney at Cooks River, NSW - 16K, 8K, 4K
- Straddie Salute Multisport Festival on North Stradbroke Island, QLD - 8K
- WAMC Bold Park Cross Country in Floreat, Perth, WA - 10.7K, 5.8K
- Woodford to Glenbrook Classic in Blue Mountains, NSW - 25K
Have a great running week!
Best Running Regards,