Weekly Newsletter February 6th 2014
This week's newsletter on February 6th 2014 has interesting running articles, late event additions and important event updates and corrections.
Ann Trason: The Pioneer Returns
Ann Trason dominated ultrarunning for decades, but stopped racing in 2004 and completely dropped off the ultrarunning radar. This week she introduced the Overlook Endurance Runs, 100k, 50-mile, and 50k races on and very close to the revered Western States Trail, and announced that she's offering online running coaching. The interview covers a bit of her history as well as her re-entry into the ultra running community. Read it at iRunFar.
Simple Truths About 180 Strides Per Minute
There have been many articles about runners aiming for 180 strides per minute, or at least for an increased stride turnover. Many recreational runners are probably in the 160s, and have gotten the message that they should try to bump this up a little. But tyou need to figure out your goals first. Are you trying to run faster? Or are you trying to reduce injuries? The two might require different strategies. Read more at Runners World.
High-fat low-carb diet runners
The high-fat, low-carb (HFLC) diet seems to be popular in every corner of the world at the moment. How does the HFLC diet work for athletes? And does it matter what type of sport a person participates in? Take at look at Nutrition for Sports.
To find out what's been recently updated, check the website homepage regularly. I include in this newsletter a list of the more important updates such as date changes, cancellations or late additions to the calendar. Late additions are events which will take place in the next two to three weeks and have only just been added to the website.
- Added dates for the Sydney Striders 10K Series for 2014, which returned on February 1st
- Masters Athletics weekly running events: I've loaded up events from February 9th to April 27th and have been emailed the rest of the events for the year so should be able to load those tomorrow
- Operation Blackhawk in Victoria on February 22nd/23rd
Corrections and updates
- The Women's and Girls' Jogalong in Canberra has now moved back to Weston Park; we'd also missed off a date on March 2nd which has now been added
- The Winery Running Festival in the Hunter Valley on July 20th has a 53km ultra this year as well as the other regular events
- The Dolphin Run in Adelaide was postponed from February 2nd to 9th (this Sunday) due to high temperatures
- The Adventure Sport NQ Metrogaine event at Redlynch was postponed from January 30th to February 20th
- The Mt Rob Roy Romps in Calwell, ACT scheduled for February 2nd has been postponed due to a fire ban; a new date will be advised later this year
Have a great running week!