Weekly Newsletter February 12th 2014
This week's newsletter on February 12th 2014 has interesting running articles, late event additions and important event updates and corrections.
Walking in Ultras - Soft or Essential?
Walking is typically seen as the soft option in running races, however in an ultra it's often the smart option. In a hilly race even the elites walk, the difference between them and the back of the pack runners is the amount of walking and the speed at which they walk. Read more.
Jessica Trengove to raise bowel cancer awareness
National bowel cancer prevention charity, The Jodi Lee Foundation is delighted to announce Olympic and Commonwealth Games runner Jessica Trengove as its official ambassador. Jessica's family history with the disease - it claimed her Nana's life - together with her personal values of healthy living drew her to the Foundation. Read more.
Everest Marathon Race Report
If you've ever considered doing the Mt Everest Marathon, this race report by New Zealander June McClintock gives an excellent overview of what's required, including a 16 day acclimatisation trek before even reaching the start line.
To find out what's been recently updated, check the website homepage regularly. I include in this newsletter a list of the more important updates such as date changes, cancellations or late additions to the calendar. Late additions are events which will take place in the next two to three weeks and have only just been added to the website.
- The Stromlo Stomp this Saturday in Canberra
Corrections and updates
- The Mt Rob Roy Romps was rescheduled from 02 Feb to 23 Mar 2014 due to a fire ban
- The AWMA Trail Running Series events at Huon Hill (15 Jun), Mahers Hill (13 Jul) and McFarlanes Hill (10 Aug) have been cancelled
- The Stampede Brisbane has had a date change to 02/03 Aug 2014 (was originally 06/07 Sep 2014)
- The Color Run in Townsville has had a date change to 28 Sep 2014 (was originally 20 Jul 2014)
- The Leafy Sea Dragon originally scheduled for 02 Mar 2014 has been cancelled
Have a great running week!