Weekly Newsletter July 31st 2015
This week's newsletter has interesting articles, and lots of event updates!
Books from Human Kinetics
You can receive 15% off most Human Kinetics books and ebooks. Simply join Human Kinetics Rewards and enter the code RUN15 at the cart and hit update. Find out more here.
Top tips when buying your next shoe
James Kueglar offers up some tips when buying your next shoe, starting off with the sensible suggestion that you should apply the same principles to choosing work/casual shoes as you do to buying running shoes. Read his tips here
How to choose ethical running shoes and gear
So now that you have the tips from James about what to look for in a shoe, check out this article by Belle Beth Cooper at Attendly, which looks at some of the companies who are getting better at creating "ethical" running shoes and gear.
8 hack to make you hate running less
I know you don't hate running :) but here's some tips to help get you out there, which can be especially useful when the weather's bad! Run first thing in the morning; go as slow as you want; make a playlist just for running; sign up for a race; find a friend to go with you; run somewhere beautiful; get a dog who needs a run; and stop making excuses. Check out the full list in detail here at Shut up and Run.
Half marathon tips
Shannon-Leigh offers up some tips to help improve your half marathons: find motivation; run on different surfaces during training; visualise yourself during the race; train with someone else; do a 5km time trial; and practise what you will eat for breakfast & time it right. Check them out in detail here
To find out what's been recently updated, check the website homepage regularly. I include in this newsletter a list of the more important updates such as date changes, cancellations or late additions to the calendar. Late additions are events which will take place in the next two to three weeks and have only just been added to the website.
- Miss Muddy in Canberra has changed from October 18th to November 22nd; in Townsville from August 30th to October 11th; and Ballarat/Creswick from December 5th & 6th to February 27th & 28th
- La Femme 5 in Adelaide has changed from October 25th to September 27th
- Tallangatta Sports Festival in Victoria has changed from October 25th to September 27th
- Lake Manchester Trail Run in Queensland on August 16th is 22K, 10K & 6K (originally 22K & 5K)
- Greater Sydney:Half at Sydney Olympic Park on August 23rd has a 7K and Kids 2K in addition to the half marathon
- Woronora Dam Pipeline Trail Run near Sydney on August 23rd has added a 10K event to the existing 20K
- B&E Burnie Ten in Tasmania on October 18th has added a 5K to the 10K events
- Run Anglesea Trail Run in Victoria on October 24th has 21K & 10K events this year (last year was 12.5K only)
- Afterglow Twilight Trail Half Marathon in Victoria on November 28th has added a 12K event this year
- Memory Walk and Jog in Wollongong on February 28th has added a 6.5K to the existing 7.5K & 2K
Have a great running week!