Weekly Newsletter October 22nd 2015
This week's newsletter has interesting articles, some date changes & cancellations, and several late additions to the Australian Running Calendar.
9 confessions that capture what it feels like to be a runner
Beth at Shut UP + Run has a list of 9 assumptions and confessions that capture what it's like to be a runner, and most of them will resonate with most of us. The assumptions include gems like "you have never crapped your pants while running or come close" and "you love it when people yell, 'Run, Forrest, Run!' at you. Check out the 9 assumptions here.
Weight training for running
Ian McMahon writes about why you should do weight training for running over at Trail Runner Mag. As with many of these trail focussed articles, it really applies to any sort of running. Ian busts some myths, looks at performance factors, health gains and then how to do it with photos. Check it out here.
Help for numb arms when running
John asks: "When I'm running, my arms start going numb from my elbows down to my hands. I usually do some shadow boxing to help get the blood flowing again. Is that okay?" William O Roberts answers this question here at Runners World.
6 marathon tapering tips from Australian Olympian Lee Troop
Known as "Troopy" in running circles, 42-year-old Lee Troop owns Fleet Feet Sports in Boulder, Colorado and also serves as the high performance coach for the Boulder Track Club. He offers six marathon tapering tips in this article at competitor.com.
Why is running recovery important?
Coach Jenny Hadfield shares some success stories of runners taking a recovery phase: Jeff who was running races almost every week until he had a series of aches, pains and a calf strain; and Sara who had lost her running mojo. Read their stories here at Runners World.
To find out what's been recently updated, check the website homepage regularly. I include in this newsletter a list of the more important updates such as date changes, cancellations or late additions to the calendar. Late additions are events which will take place in the next two to three weeks and have only just been added to the website.
- Hurstbridge Fun Run in Victoria has been re-scheduled from October 25th (this Sunday) to April 17th
- Beach Bash at Elliott Heads near Bundaberg on October 25th has been cancelled
- Removed the Raw Challenge Tasmania date on February 13th, because it's no longer showing on the event website
- Removed the Great Rail Runs from Queenscliff to Drysdale, Victoria date on April 17th, because it's unlikely to go ahead in 2016
- ROXY #RUNSUPYOGA at Manly Beach, NSW this Saturday
- Great Strides in Sydney & Strathalbyn on Sunday, and in Semaphore on November 1st
- #RacingTheVale - Helensvale Hashtag Run in the Gold Coast on October 30th
- Billabong Ranch Brumby Run in Echuca, Victoria on October 31st
- Mudderella in Myrniong, Victoria on November 7th
Have a great running week!