Weekly Newsletter November 4th 2015
This week's newsletter has interesting articles, our CLIF Bar competition winner, and a number of date changes/corrections, late additions, and location changes.
Afghanistan's female marathon runner defies danger to go the distance
The sole Afghan woman who took part in the Bamiyan race hopes others follow in her footsteps despite expectations that girls forgo sport and stay indoors. Read more in this article at The Guardian.
Three strategies to offset late race fatigue
Whether you're running a long-distance event or a 5K, late-race fatigue can affect your performance. The great news is there are three simple techniques you can use to power through to the finish line. Read about the three strategies here in this article at Runners World by Henny Hadfield.
Good People Run interview Dean Karnazes
Matt Rayment at Good People Run starts off with a blurb about himself and how Dean Karnazes' books inspired him to run, and then interviews the man himself. Read the interview here.
Ask Timmy Olson: paleo, pacing and kid-assisted strength training
The trail-running pro answers reader questions on training, racing and diet here at Trail Runner Magazine: "Do you still follow a paleo lifestyle?", "What type of strengh training do you do to make you a stronger trail runner?", and "What's your pace during a 100 miler?"
How wind, heat and cold affect running performance
Have you ever tried running against a strong headwind? How about running on a cold and windy day, or a hot and humid day with nary a breeze to lift your spirits up? Runners constantly have to deal with different environmental conditions, which Gabriel Paolo Ricafrente looks at in this article at Attendly.
CLIF Bar Competition Winner
The winner of the box of 12 Coconut Choc Chip CLIF Bars was Stephen Pyle from Victoria. Find out more about the new CLIF Bar Flavour, which was released on November 1st.
To find out what's been recently updated, check the website homepage regularly. I include in this newsletter a list of the more important updates such as date changes, cancellations or late additions to the calendar. Late additions are events which will take place in the next two to three weeks and have only just been added to the website.
- The Glen Gallop Community Fun Run in Glen Innes, NSW is going ahead on November 15th, and will be held in conjunction with the inaugural Glen on Wheels festival. Failing to find other information about this event, I'd flagged it as cancelled when the Beardies Festival was cancelled, but thanks to the organisers getting in touch with me we were able to correct it
- The next Kangaroo Island Marathon events are on 27 Aug 2016 & 26 Aug 2017, not in September of each year as originally listed
- Changed the Ipswich Trail Run Series at Flinders Goolman Conservation Estate from February 14th to 7th as per the update on the event website
- I still have a fairly large backlog of orienteering and weekday summer events to add and should hopefully be on top of it by next week's newsletter! The latest ones added are the Sydney Summer Twilight Series, which returns tomorrow evening.
- Milawa & Oxley Mud Run in Oxley, Victoria on November 14th
- Deep Space Mountain Marathon at Namadgi National Park in ACT on November 8th (this Sunday) now starts and finishes at Orroral Valley Tracking Station because there's not enough parking at the old location at Honeysuckle Creek
- Fun Run Pink in Perth on November 8th (this Sunday) has been relocated from HBF Stadium WA Athletics Stadium
Have a great running week!