Weekly Newsletter March 9th 2016
This week's newsletter has interesting articles, a date change for the Maria Island Rogaine and a bunch of late additions to the running calendar, including the Masters Athletics WA events.
Australian runner tackles 40 marathons to raise awareness of global water scarcity
Mina Guli has committed to running 40 marathons, in just 49 days, across seven deserts around the world to raise awareness of global water scarcity. Find out more here at ABC News.
Running with the White Horse: A runner remembers Caballo Blanco
Andrew Yim recounts his experiences with Caballo Blanco here at Trail Runner Magazine, when he went on a four day trek in the Copper Canyon with him, a year before Christopher McDougall's book Born to Run came out.
Sydney's Best Runs
No need to hit the pavement for a dull run this weekend. See kookaburras, beaches, the harbour and jump into a lake at the end of your slog. Broadsheet provides a list of routes and pit stops that will make your run fun in Sydney.
Tips for helping a new running buddy start out
You've been running for months, picking up the pace, hitting a few hills, maybe even entering a race or two. And now, your improved fitness and confidence has inspired a friend to try running and they're asking you for guidance. Jeff Galloway has some tips to gently introduce newcomers to running so they'll come back for more in this article at Runners World.
How Jason McNamara came to love running
Jason McNamara was 33 years old, and weighed 117kgs and by his own admission, did only what he needed to get by in terms of exercise. But in the space of three years, he shed more than 40 kilos and completed a marathon. Read his story here at The Canberra Times.
To find out what's been recently updated, check the website homepage regularly. I include in this newsletter a list of the more important updates such as date changes, cancellations, or late additions to the calendar. And don't forget to check the calendar page for a complete list of upcoming events.
- Maria Island Rogaine in Tasmania has changed from November 12th to 19th
- Color Me Rad in Sydney scheduled for 19 Mar 2016 appears to have been cancelled because the date has been removed from the event website
- Masters Athletics WA events, which run all year round
- Queensland Running Cross Country Series, which returned last weekend
- Cowra Festival Fun Run in NSW on March 13th
- Trail Kids at Lawson (run alongside the Lawson Trail Race) on March 20th
- Western Melbourne Metropolitan Night Series, starting March 22nd
- Great Ocean Road Marathon in Victoria on May 15th has a 60K ultra in addition to the other events
- Hume & Hovell Ultra on October 15th will have 100 mile & 21km distances in addition to the existing 100km & 50km
That's all for this week, so have a great running week!