Weekly Newsletter August 23rd 2016
This week's newsletter has a Brooks running sale at Sportitude, interesting articles, late additions, date changes & corrections, and cancellations & postponements on the running calendar.
Brooks running sale: Multibuy discount
Save up to 50% when you buy 1 pair of Brooks running shoes. Get a further discount when you buy more than 1 pair. This sale is on until September 12th. Shop now!
How to make morning runs suck less
Brian Dalek starts off this article in Runners World with "The past few months I've been repeating a phrase each time I wake up around 5 AM and cringe at the alarm signaling that I should get up for a workout: 'It's a lot more fun to run in the morning when you want to, not as much fun when you have to.'" Suggestions are to go fast; find some new routes; make yourself chuckle; and treat yourself.
Running around the world in 7 days
At 66 years old, Glen Avery plans on completing seven marathons on seven continents in seven days as a participant in the World Marathon Challenge in January 2017. Find out more in this article at competitor.com Note that he'll be the oldest participant in the challenge!
93-year-old veteran completes three-year run across US
"I wish it wasn't over," said Ernie Andrus, reaching St. Simon's Island in Georgia almost three years after starting his run in San Diego on 7 October, 2013. He was surrounded by hundreds of people including family members and friends who have joined him at different parts along his journey. Find out more in this article at The Guardian.
How to get free speed out of switchbacks
A switchback is an opportunity. If used right, a switchback-proficient runner can gain seconds on each turn over a runner of equal ability who gets shy when the trail gets twisty. Check out this article at Trail Runner Magazine for tips on technique and training.
Simple techniques to improve your running
Lee-Anne Wann is a health and fitness consultant and offers some breathing tips to help your running in this article at the NZ Herald: using the deep breath; breathing to music; and cadence, or steps per inhale, followed by steps per exhale.
To find out what's been recently updated, check the website homepage regularly. I include in this newsletter a list of the more important updates such as date changes, cancellations, or late additions to the calendar. And don't forget to check the calendar page for a complete list of upcoming events.
- Vision Challenge Fun Run/Walk in Adelaide on September 4th
Date changes & corrections
- Yarrawonga Mulwala Multi Sport Festival: the fun run events are on October 23rd, not the 22nd as originally listed; the triathlon events are on the 22nd
Cancellations & postponements
- Zoo Run at WildlifeHQ in Woombye scheduled for September 11th has been cancelled
- Dynamic Running's Regional Running Challenge scheduled for September 18th is not going ahead, but will return in 2017
- Colour Ya World in Canterbury scheduled for October 8th has been postponed until 2017; date TBA
- Colour Me Fun Run in Wagga Wagga scheduled for October 9th has been cancelled
- Run From the Hills at the Mt Avoca Winery scheduled for November 12th has been cancelled
That's all for this week, so have a great running week!