This week's newsletter has interesting articles; last chance for early bird registrations for the Toohey Trail Run; several date changes & corrections, postponement of the The Tassie Trail Fest and late addition of the Cliffs Community Fun Run.
This October experience the remarkable untouched Toohey Forest at the Griffith Sport Toohey Trail Run in support of Diabetes QLD on Sunday 8 October 2017.
There is a course for everyone, whether you are a beginner or an avid trail runner. Course options include: 5km, 10km and 21.1km Half Marathon.
If you would like to experience this beautiful all terrain scenic course, make sure to register before Midnight tonight as Early Bird registrations will be closing! Save on your race entry and secure your FREE race singlet now at griffith.edu.au/toohey-trail-run!
5 things a champion marathon runner wants you to know
Running is tough. Whether you're a newbie trying to crack their first 5K or a veteran sprinter gunning for the medal, you're bound to encounter a few bumps along the way. It can be tricky to know which advice to follow, so 2016 Medibank Melbourne Marathon Festival winner, Virginia Moloney, offers her top tips here so you can skip the guesswork and conquer your goals.
The toughest races in the world
Runners World has compiled a list of some of the toughest running races in the world, including: the multi day Marathon des Sables in the Sahara Desert; The Barkley Marathons, which very few have ever finished; The Patagonian Expedition Race in Chile; and the Self-Transcendence 3100 Mile in New York. Check out the full list and summeries here.
Perfect your downhill running form
Jene Shaw has some tips for running downhill in this article at competitor.com, including: lean forward from the hips, not the shoulders; use your arms for balance (I can definitely vouch for this one myself); engage your core; and imagine hot coals under your feet!
5 tips to strengthen your hill running
And to complement the article above, runner, adventurer and triathlete Sean McFarlane gives his advice to those looking to improve their running via hill training in this article at Outdoors Radar.
To find out what's been recently updated, check the recent updates page regularly. I include in this newsletter a list of the more important updates (see below) such as date changes, cancellations, or late additions to the calendar. And check out the full calendar of upcoming events.
- Western Sydney Summer Series: Bella Vista Extended has changed from 22 to 15 October
- Relay For Life in Albany has changed from 16 to 17 March
- The Mooloolaba Mile Ocean Swim is now known as the Mooloolaba Beach Festival, with an expanded program, and has changed from 24/25 to 17/18 February
- Light Horse Ultra is on 28 April (not 21 as originally listed)
- XTERRA: Townsville has changed from 9 June to 1 September
- Mt Crawford Challenge has changed from 2 to 9 September
- The Tassie Trail Fest, which was scheduled for 10 to 12 March, will not be able to go ahead in Derby; the event organisers are currently looking for a new location and possibly different dates
- Cliffs Community Fun Run on 24 September
That's all for this week, so have a great running week!