This week's newsletter has interesting articles, two date changes, a postponement and three late additions to the event calendar.
Gold goes better with green
Newly invested Australian Hall of Fame Legend Raelene Boyle considers herself blessed many times over, and not all of them in ways you might imagine. Find out more in this article at the Sydney Morning Herald.
How to avoid muscle cramps?
Muscle cramps correspond to an involuntary contraction called spasm. This strong and painful contraction of skeletal muscles appears during or after workouts. It can last from a few seconds to several minutes and can attack some muscle fibers, an entire muscle or a set of muscles. Find out how you can avoid them in this article at Running Area.
How to avoid these 3 common long-distance racing hydration fails
When it comes to longer distance racing, the potential for a significant hydration fail is high. Andy Blow of Precision Hydration looks at the three major hydration issues for distance runners in this article at Training Peaks: dehydration; overhydration; and GI issues/sickness.
A primer on shin splints
Shin splints are the bane of many runners, and often plague beginners who do not build their mileage gradually enough, or seasoned runners who abruptly change their workout regimen, suddenly adding too much mileage, for example, or switching from running on flat surfaces to hills. Find out more in this article at Runners World.
To find out what's been recently updated, check the recent updates page regularly. I include in this newsletter a list of the more important updates (see below) such as date changes, cancellations, or late additions to the calendar. And check out the full calendar of upcoming events.
- Run For MI Life Charity Fun Run at Airlie Beach has changed from 15 October to 19 November
- SMC Road Race shceduled for 15 April has been rescheduled to 22 April to avoid a clash with the Canberra Marathon
- Kangaroo Valley Trek for Timor which was to have been on 7 October has been postponed until April; the new date is still TBC
- Bathurst Park Orienteering, with the next event on Friday
- Dingo Duo this Saturday & Sunday
- Geoff Watt Memorial Fun Run on 29 October
That's all for this week, so have a great running week!