This week's newsletter has special offers, Australia Day/Weekend events, our current competition, interesting articles and some event updates.
- Save 30% on Asics Gel Exalt, Asics Gel innovate and Asics Gel Contend shoes at Sportitude. This offer is valid until 29 January. Check it out here.
- This one isn't a running shoe offer, but being a parent with school kids myself I know any saving you can make is a good one! The Athlete's Foot has 20% off Clarks shoes in their "Back to School" special. Check it out here. This offer is valid until 5 February, and means you have more to spend on running shoes :)
Australia Day weekend is coming up, so check out our list of Australia Day Fun Runs, Running & Walking Events here. This covers Friday to Sunday (and also a few virtual runs which are currently going on). There are quite a few on Australia Day itself, and then a few more over the weekend.
Just a reminder that we currently have a competition for our premium members that will be drawn on February 1st.
The prize draw is for a $100 sporting goods voucher and free entry to ONE of the following events: Air New Zealand Hawke's Bay International Marathon on May 12th, Runaway Noosa Marathon on May 26th, OR Runaway Barossa Marathon on October 20th. The voucher is provided by Running Calendar and the free entry by IRONMAN® Oceania; the events are part of the Runaway Series.
You need to be a premium member to be entered in this competition. Find out more about our membership levels here.
10 Biggest Fun Runs in Australia
There's so much choice when it comes to selecting a fun run in Australia, so I created a list of the biggest ones for you to plan your year around! Check out the 10 Biggest Fun Runs in Australia here. Next, I'll tackle the most scenic ones - reply to this email with the event you think is the most scenic.
Do you need to run the marathon distance in training?
Brad Beer, a Gold Coast based physiotherapist, talks about preparation for your first marathon in this article & video at the Gold Coast Marathon blog, and how you should approach your training program.
37 mistakes runners can't stop making
In a perfect world, we'd train hard, race smart, recover well, and live a balanced, healthy life. In reality, we fall prey to the same errors over and over. Runners World has compiled a list of 37 mistakes runners can't stop making here; the list includes several variations of one of the biggest mistakes: going out too fast. I've made this mistake myself more times than I'd like to remember...
Can alcohol negatively affect your running?
Trail Runner Magazine asks if alcohol can negatively affect your running in this article, looking at how alcohol affects you in general and then it effects on race day and recovery.
To find out what's been recently updated, check the recent updates page regularly. I include in this newsletter a list of the more important updates (see below) such as date changes, cancellations, or late additions to the calendar. And check out the full calendar of upcoming events.
- The Batemans Bay Ultimate Triathlon Festival has been relocated to Tomakin, renamed the Capital Coast Ultimate Triathlon Festival and takes place on 7 April (was 8 April)
- Cathedrals Challenge in Victoria was postponed from 10 December to 4 February due to heavy rainfall
- Australia Day Fun Runs in Cairns, Coffs Harbour and Townsville on Friday
That's all for this week, so have a great running week!