This week's newsletter has a last chance reminder for our prize draw on Wednesday, interesting articles, a date change for the Cairns Post Bright Night Fun Run and a number of cancellations and postponements to the running events calendar.
Last chance reminder: the second prize draw for our premium members is on Thursday and is for a Mix It Up 12 energy bar pack from At One Foods. Find out more about membership here.
6 great speed workouts
No matter if you're a front-of-the-pack contender, a back-of-the-pack jogger or somewhere in between, a weekly speed work session can bring huge benefits to your running and help you to run faster at your next 5K, 10K, half marathon or marathon. Check out these 6 speed tips at Motive Running.
Running the race that "Born to Run" made famous
If you've read Christopher McDougall's book "Born to Run", you'll know about the Copper Canyon ultramarathon in Urique, Mexico (if you haven't read it - go find a copy, it's a great read!). It's since been renamed the Caballo Blanco Ultra in honour of the original organiser who died in 2012. Outside Online has a photo essay of last year's event here, showing some pretty stunnng scenery, and the Tarahumara racing in their colourful tops and sandals made of old tires.
Returning to running after an injury
Your mind may be ready to go, but your body may be saying "no." Coach David Roche shares some tips about how to safely get back to running after an injury in this article at Trail Runner Magazine. And if you do get injured, try not to run through it - you may end up having to take even more time off running than if you'd stopped sooner.
The best moves for runners to support the hips, knees and ankles
Mark Temme, a physical therapist who works with runners, provides some exercises that work the muscles that support your hip, knee and ankle joints in this article at Runners World. There's a description of each, along with the video to show you exactly what to do. Note that there's about a 16 second ad at the start of the video, which can be a little confusing depending what ad is showing. Wait it out and the stretch video will show.
To find out what's been recently updated, check the recent updates page regularly. I include in this newsletter a list of the more important updates (see below) such as date changes, cancellations, or late additions to the calendar. And check out the full calendar of upcoming events.
- Cairns Post Bright Night Fun Run has changed from 8 to 7 June
- Last Wednesday's Urban Adventure Series River Rush in Townsville was postponed due to severe weather; the new date is TBC
- The Color Run in Canberra scheduled for 25 February (last Sunday) was cancelled
- Sandalford Vineyards Half Marathon scheduled for 10 March has been cancelled
- Lithgow King of The Mountain Race scheduled for 17 March has been cancelled
- Run For Freedom in Carindale, WA scheduled for 18 March has been cancelled
- Bark For Life in Subiaco, WA scheduled for 18 March has been cancelled due to lack of registrations
- The Great Volcanic Mountain Challenge scheduled for 25 March has been cancelled: following the bush fires on Mt Canobolas, there has been extensive damage to the fire trails and tracks used for the course.
- The Great Southern Endurance Run is not going ahead in 2018, but should return in 2019
That's all for this week, so have a great running week!