This week's newsletter has interesting articles, a premium member discount for The Irish Run the World, and some postponements, date changes and late additions to the running calendar.
The weird ways that running affects your body
Find out the "why" behind twitchy legs, black toenails, and an urgent need to find a bathroom (among many other body issues) and how to deal with them in this article at Runners World.
What your body actually needs during different types of endurance exercise
Training Peaks has a fairly high-level overview on how to meet both your hydration and nutritional needs during endurance exercise in this article, broken up into short activities (less than 90 minutes), medium to long (90 minutes to 4 hours) and "ultra" activities (4 hours+).
Six mental secrets to push harder during grueling workouts
When a run gets tough and you just want to quit, Runners World has some tips about what to do in this article.
Achieving mental excellence in ultra marathons
Most athletes head into an event, race or course in peak physical condition, however many will overlook mental excellence. Sports Performance, Strength and Conditioning and Online Coach Mac McKie looks at mental excellence in this article at Ultra168.
Premium members have access to discounts for a range of events in Australia & New Zealand. The most recently added discount is for the Irish Run the World Fun Run in Brisbane, Melbourne & Sydney on 22 September.
The discount code takes $10 off so your entry fee is just $40, and this includes an event t-shirt plus a breakfast BBQ after the race.
Plus over 90% of the funds raised will go directly to the charity partners Suas, supporting literacy in disadvantaged schools in Ireland and overseas, and the GO Foundation, offering scholarships and support for indigenous education in Australia.
Check out all the current discounts here & find our more about membership here and sign up today!
To find out what's been recently updated, check the recent updates page regularly. I include in this newsletter a list of the more important updates (see below) such as date changes, cancellations, or late additions to the calendar. And check out the full calendar of upcoming events.
- Bilpin Bush Run has been postponed from 18 August (Saturday just gone) to 8 September due to bush fires
- Lake Manchester Trails was postponed from 19 August to 23 September due to fire risk
- Sydney Trail Series at St Ives Race 3 changed event date from 11 to 4 November 2018 as per update on event website
- Run To The Dog: changed date from 24 February to 3 March 2019 as per update on event website
- The last two races in the West Met Cross Country Series, on 25 August and 1 September
- Trails in Motion Film Festival in Albury on Thursday and Townsville on Tuesday next week
Have a great running week!