This week's newsletter has interesting articles, a note about the announcement that is due to happen later on today on Facebook regarding Miss Muddy, and a few date changes and corrections to event listings on the Running Calendar.
Rayner wins inaugural Commonwealth Half Marathon
Australian Jack Rayner has written his name into history with a win in the inaugural Commonwealth Half Marathon Championships held in Cardiff over the weekend, and Celia Sullohern came 2nd in the women's event. Find out more in this article at Athletics Australia.
The world's weirdest running races
There are weird and wonderful races around the world focused on having a laugh, and raising money for a good cause, so Running Heroes has assembled a list from running in horse suits to smashing a box of doughnuts pre-run in this blog post, which inludes Australia's own Puffing Billy's Great Train Race.
Why mileage is important (but not that important)
Coach Ben Pulham looks at how runners are fixating on mileage targets, wearing them as badges of honour and basking in the kudos it brings on Strava, and how not all mileage is equal. Read the article here on his Coached blog.
Alexi Pappas takes napping seriously
Olympian and filmmaker Alexi Pappas talks about mastering work-life balance, including how sleep and recovery are just as important as hard workouts, in this article at Outside Online.
To find out what's been recently updated, check the recent updates page regularly. I include in this newsletter a list of the more important updates (see below) such as date changes, cancellations, or late additions to the calendar. And check out the full calendar of upcoming events.
- It seems likely all Miss Muddy events have been cancelled or postponed (and therefore all Obstacool events too); there is due to be an announcement on the Miss Muddy Facebook page later on today
- Go the Extra Mile: corrected date from 5 to 4 May
- Wildhorse at Night is on 25 May (not the 24th as originally listed on both the event website and the running calendar)
- Memory Walk and Jog - Sunshine Coast: corrected date from 24 to 9 June 2019
- XTERRA Dwellingup has moved back a year to November 2019
Have a great running week!