This week's newsletter has information about RunWest, the new community Festival in Western Sydney; interesting articles; discounts for premium members; and some postponements, date changes and late additions to the running calendar.
RunWest is here! The inaugural edition of Western Sydney's biggest community festival will take place on Sunday March 31, 2019.
There's live entertainment, cultural activations, Western Sydney's major landmarks and sports stars along the action-packed 12km and 4km courses. What’s better; for a limited time only Early Bird Entries include a free pass into the new Sydney Zoo.
Be part of the inaugural RunWest. Check it out at www.runthewest.com.au and also check out the discounts section below.
James' feat makes him the Bradman of marathons
69 year old Ray James ran at the Carcoar Cup marathon on Sunday. He didn't win or take gold in the 60-plus category, and "bloke in his 60s runs marathon" is not normally news... but "bloke in his 60s runs 303rd marathon" is almost Bradman like! according to the Central Western Daily. Check out Ray's story in the full article here.
10 crazy one-mile runs to try
Running Heroes has compiled a list of some of the world’s craziest runs done over a mile, including the well known Beer Mile and the not so well known Rubik's Cube Mile! Check them out here.
Runners using a virtual marathon to qualify for New York
Strava organised a virtual marathon over the weekend (the same weekend as the New York Marathon) for 500 runners around the world. The runners had to pay but it will mean they automatically qualify for New York in 2019, a difficult race to get into. Find out more in this article at Bloomberg.
Venice Marathon flooded
Both the men's and women's lead groups were on pace for strong finishes in the recent Venice Marathon until they reached the final section of the course, which was flooded with ankle-deep water. Find out more in this article & video at Runners World.
Premium members get access to discounts for a range of events in Australia & New Zealand. Enter enough discounted events and your membership pays for itself, as well as opening up a range of useful functions on the website!
Find out more about membership here and sign up today!
To find out what's been recently updated, check the recent updates page regularly. I include in this newsletter a list of the more important updates (see below) such as date changes, cancellations, or late additions to the calendar. And check out the full calendar of upcoming events.
- Tour De Trachyte has been postponed from 10 November to 16 February due to a section of the course that has been affected by the weather conditions in recent weeks which is integral to four of the six legs in the event
- 2 Jetties Fun Run: changed event date from 26 to 27 December 2018 as per update on event website
- Brimbank Park Urban Trail Run: changed event date from 23 to 24 March 2019 as per update on event website
- Murray River Trail Running Festival has changed from 7 to 14 April to avoid a clash with the Five Peaks Ultramarathon
- Mountain Warriors this Saturday, a women only obstacle course race as a replacement for Miss Muddy Henty (this is not organised by the Miss Muddy organisers who are in liquidation)
Have a great running week!