This week's newsletter has our current book competition, interesting articles, discounts for premium members, and several date changes, cancellatiosn, etc to the running calendar.
Thanks to Footprint Books, we have three books to give away: Running Anatomy, Running Form & Running Flow. This competition is for premium members only and the winners will be drawn on 1 March.
Signing up as a premium member gets you access to competitions like this, event discounts and unlocks additional website features such as location searching and being emailed when new events are added that match your saved searches.
Marathon specific workouts to break training monotony
Marathon training can get monotonous, especially when you’re building volume for longer miles. Training Peaks outlines some bulletproof workouts to help structure your days and ensure the work you're doing will translate to a faster race in this article.
New record for seven marathons in seven days
Susannah Gill successfully completed seven marathons across seven continents in seven days last week to win the gruelling World Marathon Challenge in the fastest time by a women athlete, averaging 3h28 per marathon! Most of us can't even run one marathon that fast... Find out more in this article at The Guardian.
Why it's OK to run when you are pregnant
Many top sportswomen continue training - and even competing - after they get pregnant. A new report commissioned by the International Olympic Committee confirms there are fewer risks than you might think. Find out more in this article at the BBC.
These racing guide dogs go the distance for blind athletes
The New York City Half Marathon is the first long-distance race to permit the use of guide dogs for runners who are blind. This article at the New York Post looks at Guiding Eyes for the Blind, which has the only program in the world that trains guide dogs to help blind runners.
Premium members get access to discounts for a range of events in Australia & New Zealand. Enter enough discounted events and your membership pays for itself, as well as opening up a range of useful functions on the website!
We currently have discounts for all upcoming Spartan Races that have entries open (excluding the kids events); Convicts & Wenches Trail Run; Gold Coast 100 Run Festival; and Ultra Trail Gold Coast, as well as events in New Zealand.
To find out what's been recently updated, check the recent updates page regularly. I include in this newsletter a list of the more important updates (see below) such as date changes, cancellations, or late additions to the calendar. And check out the full calendar of upcoming events.
- The Townsville Melanoma March scheduled for 23 March has been cancelled due to the flooding emergency, so efforts can focus on supporting and rebuilding the local community.
- San Remo Channel Challenge was postponed on Saturday due to high winds; the new date is 23 March
- Sunday's rescheduled Snakes N Ladders trail run was cancelled due to Serpentine National Park being closed again
- Sunshine Beach Run in Perth has moved from 3 to 10 March
- Kiama Coastal Classic has changed from 22 to 15 June
- Dirty Duathlon at You Yangs Regional Park has changed from 24 to 18 August
- Fremantle Running Festival has changed from 27 October to 24 November
- Milang Mulitsport Festival in SA on 23 February
Have a great running week!