This week's newsletter has information about the upcoming Brisbane Vertical Night Sprint, interesting articles, discounts for premium members and several cancellations and date changes/corrections to the Running Calendar.
On Thursday 6th June 2019, Student One in association with Activ8 Change will host Australia’s first ever night-time vertical sprint, the Brisbane Vertical Night Sprint, to raise awareness and vital funding for Brisbane Youth Service.
The event challenges sprinters to run, walk, or crawl 707 stairs from the ground floor of one of the world’s tallest student accommodation towers, Student One Wharf Street, to the sky lounge, where they’ll be greeted by food, drinks, live music, and world-class views.
In its inaugural year, between 300 and 500 participants are expected to challenge themselves and the clock, racing up 40-storeys, attempting to "break the stair barrier" in aid of Brisbane Youth Service.
As an all-ages / all-abilities event and with a registration fee of just $25 per entrant, the Vertical Night Sprint is certain to be popular with individuals from all walks of life, including many students and fitness fanatics from the Brisbane area, among others.
Find out more at www.stairchallengeaustralia.com.au
Dirt Church Radio interview with Chris Ord
Dirt Church Radio had a great chat with Chris Ord in last week's podcast. Chris runs Tour de Trails, edits Trail Run Mag, organises some races in Victoria, and still manages to juggle other balls. Check out the podcast here.
A how to for trail running at night
Wanting to have a hit out on the trails at night? Then David Laney has all the tips you need here at iRunFar. And don't forget to take a friend!
What's black and white and a record holder?
Despite a duct-taped panda head, Kate Carter beat the record for fastest woman in a full-body costume by 25 minutes, dressed as a panda at the recent London Marathon. Find out more here at The Guardian.
Premium members get access to discounts for a range of events in Australia & New Zealand. Enter enough discounted events and your membership pays for itself, as well as opening up a range of useful functions on the website!
We currently have discounts for NGC Dash; Gold Coast 100 Run Festival; Brisbane Trail Ultra; Spartan Race & Hurricane Heat in Gold Coast; Ultra Trail Gold Coast; Spartan Race Trifecta & Hurricane Heat in Victoria; Spartan Urban Sprint in Melbourne; and get a free t-shirt at the Summit Survivor!; and events in New Zealand.
To find out what's been recently updated, check the recent updates page regularly. I include in this newsletter a list of the more important updates (see below) such as date changes, cancellations, or late additions to the calendar. And check out the full calendar of upcoming events.
- Misty FN Tastic Mountain Bike Ride scheduled for 12 May has been cancelled due to incessant rain and no end of it in sight
- The Tasmanian Running Festival, originally scheduled for 2 June has been cancelled/postponed to 2020 due to increasing costs and being unable to secure enough funding
- The second NSW Spartan Race for 2019 (scheduled for 12 October) has been cancelled and replaced with a City Sprint in Canberra on 26 October
- Berry Duathlon has moved back a week from 4 August to 27 July and entries are open
- Obstacle Hell: Mackay After Dark has moved back a week to 21 September to avoid a date clash
- Portsea Running Festival has been confirmed as 23 November (was originally tentatively scheduled as 16 November)
Have a great running week!