This week's newsletter has interesting articles, discounts for premium members, some cancellations, a postponement and a couple of date changes to the running calendar.
5 reasons you can't run faster
Runners World takes a look at why our legs turn to lead and our will seems to vanish in this article.
Training Peaks has assmbled a list of running hacks here to make sure your running time is spent better.
Why older runners have an edge in ultra races
Outside Online takes a look at how and why older runners often have an edge in ultra races.
No, too much exercise won't kill you
I knew that, you knew that, but apparently inaccurate reporting in the media has given rise to the idea that too much exercise will kill you. Runners World reports on a study by the British Journal of Sports Medicine which worked out that people who exercise more than the amounts recommended in official guidelines live longer than less active people.
Premium members get access to discounts for a range of events in Australia & New Zealand. Enter enough discounted events and your membership pays for itself, as well as opening up a range of useful functions on the website!
Our current discounts are for Spartan Race & Hurricane Heat in Gold Coast; Ultra Trail Gold Coast; Beach Warrior; Spartan Race Trifecta & Hurricane Heat in Victoria; Spartan Urban Sprint in Melbourne; and get a free t-shirt at the Summit Survivor; and we also have discounts for events in New Zealand.
To find out what's been recently updated, check the recent updates page regularly. I include in this newsletter a list of the more important updates (see below) such as date changes, cancellations, or late additions to the calendar. And check out the full calendar of upcoming events.
- Melbourne MoRun, scheduled for 30 November, has been cancelled
- Turtle and the Lamb Trail Run (19 October) & The Bald Possum (2 November) have been cancelled due to the core group of Dirty Northern Trail Run coordinators finishing up in their roles as event coordinators. Their Bump to Bells Trail Run is still going ahead on 6 October.
- K9 Challenge in Sydney scheduled for 21 September has been postponed until the organisers can find a new venue after the original venue cancelled the booking
- The Canberra Times Fun Run has moved to 10 November (the previous 22 September date was provisional) and entries are now open
- The spring edition of the Sydney Trail Series has moved to the St Ives Wildflower Gardens and the first event moved back a week from 20 to 29 September, and entries are now open
Have a great running week!