This week's newsletter has information about the new Jolong Park Fun Run, interesting articles, discounts for premium members, and several date changes/corrections to the running calendar.
Come and join in a 6.6km or 2.2km fun run with a difference by racing on a turf horse racing track in southern bayside Melbourne in Melbourne Cup Week.
There are many prizes up for grabs in both distances for multiple age groups, including prize money, medals and sponsors prizes. There will be lots of attractions and a variety of food on offer throughout the morning.
Back to basics in the backyard
Kate Dzienis at AURA (the Australian Ultra Runners Association) takes a look at the "Last One Standing" race format in this article, and talks to Alun Davies of AAA Racing who hosted the "Clint Eastwood" race recently (next year's event sold out in about a day).
Are Ashes fast bowlers under as much stress as a marathon runner?
Australia's just retained the Ashes, but last week the ABC News compared test cricketers with marathoners in this article, taking a look at training and mental vs physical strength and the different intensities required. They talked to a cricketeer, a marathoner and a sports nd exercise medicine physician / university associate professor.
A transformative total core workout
Your core includes the four muscle groups of the abdominals more than a dozen other muscles of the pelvic floor, hips, glutes, spinal stabilizers and lower back. Working together, these muscles are responsible for stabilizing your body during every single movement you perform. Active has core exercises here to help shore up poor posture, fix misalignment issues and make all of your movements stronger and more efficient.
Premium members get access to discounts for a range of events in Australia & New Zealand. Enter enough discounted events and your membership pays for itself, as well as opening up a range of useful functions on the website!
The discounts we currently have available are for:
- Australian: Ultra Trail Gold Coast; Beach Warrior; Spartan Race Trifecta & Hurricane Heat in Victoria; Spartan Urban Sprint in Melbourne; and get a free t-shirt at the Summit Survivor!
- New Zealand: Christchurch 10km Night Series: Road; Santoft Forest and Beach Half Marathon; Kawerau King of the Mountain; Valley Ultra; Xterra Waihi; Kerikeri Half Marathon.
To find out what's been recently updated, check the recent updates page regularly. I include in this newsletter a list of the more important updates (see below) such as date changes, cancellations, or late additions to the calendar. And check out the full calendar of upcoming events.
- Last weekend's Coastal High 50 was cancelled due to severe weather conditions
- The Lake Lash Dash has changed from 17 November to 1 December
- Fremantle Running Festival has changed from 24 November to 1 December
- The second race in the Triathlon NSW Sprint Series at Kurnell has changed from 25 to 18 January, and entries are now open
- BBBRun has changed from 23 to 16 February
- Margaret River Ultra Marathon has moved back a week from 2 to 9 May
Have a great running week!