This week's newsletter has information about the upcoming Jolong Park Fun Run, interesting articles, discounts for premium members, the new date for Spartan Race & Hurricane Heat in Queensland, and some date changes/corrections.
Come and join in a 6.6km or 2.2km fun run with a difference by racing on a turf horse racing track in southern bayside Melbourne in Melbourne Cup Week.
There are many prizes up for grabs in both distances for multiple age groups, including prize money, medals and sponsors prizes. There will be lots of attractions and a variety of food on offer throughout the morning.
How long can you go without exercise before starting to lose physical fitness
Swirled looks at how long you can go without doing exercise before it starts to impact on progress you have made, looking at cardio, muscular endurance, strength, and flexibility.
Taking up running after 50? It’s never too late to shine
The New York Times takes a look at people who start running competitively in their 50s can become as swift and well-muscled as older runners who have trained lifelong.
Training for busy athletes
Coach David Roche takes a look at how you can get the most out of training when you have a busy life, with tips like the body knowing stress, not miles; think frequency and consistency; and not needing to run every day.
Busting 6 myths about running while pregnant
Dr Kate Mihevc Edwards takes a look at some of the myths and misinformation surrounding exercise during pregnancy, while also pointing out that every pregnant runner is different; if you feel like running, the research says go for it. If you're too tired, rest.
Premium members get access to discounts for a range of events in Australia & New Zealand. Enter enough discounted events and your membership pays for itself, as well as opening up a range of useful functions on the website!
Current discounts available include:
- Australian events: Beach Warrior; Spartan Race Trifecta & Hurricane Heat in Victoria; Spartan Urban Sprint in Melbourne; and get a free t-shirt at the Summit Survivor!
- New Zealand events: Christchurch 10km Night Series: Road; Santoft Forest and Beach Half Marathon; Kawerau King of the Mountain; Valley Ultra; Xterra Waihi; Kerikeri Half Marathon.
To find out what's been recently updated, check the recent updates page regularly. I include in this newsletter a list of the more important updates (see below) such as date changes, cancellations, or late additions to the calendar. And check out the full calendar of upcoming events.
- The Victorian Cross Country League's Presidents Handicap has changed from 6 to 5 October
- Bribie Beach Bash has changed from 20 October to 3 November and entries are now open
- The Rogue Raid has changed from 25/26 April to 2/3 May
Have a great running week!