This week's newsletter has news & interesting articles all about marathons, discounts for premium members, cancellation of the Rocky Gully X-Duo Run n Roll, postponement of K9 Challenge in Queanbeyan, and late addition of The Biondello Bolt this Sunday.
How Eliud Kipchoge broke the 2 hour marathon barrier
Unless you've been living under a rock, you'll know by now that Eliud Kipchoge broke the 2 hour barrier for the marathon in Vienna over the weekend. Due to the somewhat contrived nature of the event (rotating pacers guided by laser lighting, not an actual race, etc) it doesn't count as a world record, but that doesn't detract from the achievement, and it was amazing to watch. ABC News takes a look at how they did it, and SBS mentions the four Australians who were part of the pacing crew. The video on the SBS page shows the finish line run, and it's great to watch everyone so excited that he did it!
Brigid Kosgei shatters the women's marathon record
And if that wasn't enough, the weekend was topped off with Kenya’s Brigid Kosgei breaking Paula Radcliffe's marathon record, which had stood for 16 years! Find out more at news.com.au. Note that there are two sets of world records for women: one where it's a women's only race, and the other for when women and men are in the same race. This record falls under the latter, which is the faster of the two.
How to increase your marathon training mileage
And since it's all about the marathon this week, here's Training Peaks taking a look at how overall weekly mileage as important as the long run.
Premium members get access to discounts for a range of events in Australia & New Zealand. Enter enough discounted events and your membership pays for itself, as well as opening up a range of useful functions on the website!
Current discounts available include:
- Australian events: Spartan Race Trifecta & Hurricane Heat in Victoria; Spartan Urban Sprint in Melbourne; and get a free t-shirt at the Summit Survivor!
- New Zealand events: Santoft Forest and Beach Half Marathon; Kawerau King of the Mountain; Valley Ultra; Xterra Waihi; Kerikeri Half Marathon.
To find out what's been recently updated, check the recent updates page regularly. I include in this newsletter a list of the more important updates (see below) such as date changes, cancellations, or late additions to the calendar. And check out the full calendar of upcoming events.
- Rocky Gully X-Duo Run n Roll, scheduled for last Saturday, was cancelled due to insufficient entries
- K9 Challenge in Queanbeyan scheduled for 10 November has been postponed due to the lack of rain needed for the mud
- The Biondello Bolt this Sunday
Have a great running week!