This week's newsletter has interesting articles, discounts for premium members, cancellation of the bcu Coffs Tri and a couple of date changes & corrections.
Australian over-50s marathon record broken for first time in 32 years
Shaun Creighton broke the Australian over-50s marathon record at last weekend's Melbourne Marathon Festival, a record that had stood for 32 years! Find out more at the Canberra Times. There was also at least one other record broken, by John Shaw who set a new Australian 65 years of age record in 2h51.
Olympic Marathon moved out of Tokyo over heat concerns
Longer and hotter summer heat waves in the city pushed organizers to move the race to a cooler region of Japan, which means next year's Olympics will in effect be hosted in two cities. Find out more at Scientific American.
Why carbohydrate is the king for endurance performance
Proper nutrition is often the missing link between training and performance gains. There are a lot of nutrition philosophies out there on the topic, but this article at Training Peaks highlights the different types of carbohydrates and how they work to fuel your body during different activity intensities.
Tips for returning to running after time off
Perhaps you're getting over an injury or maybe life just got busy; whatever the reason for the break, you may be wondering how to jump back into a regular running routine. Active.com has some tips for you here.
Premium members get access to discounts for a range of events in Australia & New Zealand. Enter enough discounted events and your membership pays for itself, as well as opening up a range of useful functions on the website!
Current discounts available include:
- Australian events: Spartan Race Trifecta & Hurricane Heat in Victoria; Spartan Urban Sprint in Melbourne; and get a free t-shirt at the Summit Survivor!
- New Zealand events: Kawerau King of the Mountain; Valley Ultra; Xterra Waihi; Kerikeri Half Marathon.
To find out what's been recently updated, check the recent updates page regularly. I include in this newsletter a list of the more important updates (see below) such as date changes, cancellations, or late additions to the calendar. And check out the full calendar of upcoming events.
- bcu Coffs Tri scheduled for 8 March has been cancelled, but should hopefully return in 2021
- The Queensland Triathlon Series Aquathlon at Kawana Waters has changed from 16 to 17 November, to be on the same day as the triathlon
- Corrected the Victor Harbour Half Marathon from 15 November to 15 December
Have a great running week!