This week's newsletter has interesting articles, discounts for premium members, some cancellations and date changes & corrections to the running calendar.
Why you should consider adding aqua jogging to your training
Aqua jogging is frequently used as a form of non-impact rehab for running injuries. Triathlete coach and personal trainer Mary Timoney takes a look at how aqua jogging can have some significant fitness benefits, even for healthy runners, in this article at Training Peaks.
Including back-to-back training sessions to obtain volume but reduce injury risk
Training for an ultramarathon is time consuming and a small injury can ruin your schedule. But changing your plans to include two shorter but tough sessions in a weekend is a great way to replicate that tired leg feeling. Find out more here at the South China Morning Post.
Does running cadence matter? Not as much as previously thought
Since the 1980s, when running coach Jack Daniels noted that the step rate for runners in the 1984 Olympics was about 180 per minute, it’s been widely touted as a means to reduce injury or improve speed. But does it really matter? The Michigan News takes a look in this article.
The best long distance running shoes
Runners World put all the miles on everything from lightweight trainers to the burly foam tanks that never seem to wear down, to give us their picks for the best long distance running shoes for 2019.
Premium members get access to discounts for a range of events in Australia & New Zealand. Enter enough discounted events and your membership pays for itself, as well as opening up a range of useful functions on the website!
The most recently addded discount is for the Brisbane Trail Ultra, which is over the weekend of 11 & 12 July. Along the 5% discount for premium members, $10 from every entry goes directly to Queensland Fire State Emergency Services. Find out more here.
Current discounts available include:
- Australian events: Spartan Race Trifecta & Hurricane Heat in Victoria; Spartan Urban Sprint in Melbourne; and get a free t-shirt at the Summit Survivor.
- New Zealand events: Xterra Waihi; Kerikeri Half Marathon.
To find out what's been recently updated, check the recent updates page regularly. I include in this newsletter a list of the more important updates (see below) such as date changes, cancellations, or late additions to the calendar. And check out the full calendar of upcoming events.
- Last weekend's Forbes Triathlon was cancelled earlier in the week due to low entry numbers
- Raw Challenge Tasmania scheduled for 18 January has been cancelled, and Raw Challenge Tasmania will not return in the future
- The second race in the Shoreline Swimrun Series is on 8 December, not the 7th as originally listed
- Gotcha4Life Fun Run has changed from 21 to 22 March
- Obstacle Hell in Coffs Harbour has changed from 21 to 22 March
Have a great running week!